Saturday 12 November 2011

Bloodstock



Being a Bloodstock virgin, it was with much excitement that I arrived on the Thursday evening with no pro-conceptions of 'previous years' to live up to.  I was so looking forward to seeing The Defiled on the Friday that I hadn't given any thought to the rest of the weekend's entertainment.  I was glad that I hadn't given the Thursday night a miss as Revoker and Beholder were an impressive taster of what the rest of the weekend would be like. 

Revoker

Beholder
The comedians Steve Hughes and Jason Rouse were hilarious.  Steve Hughes has an intelligent wit and canny observation of life, while Jason Rouse got everyone laughing with his unpolitically correct and crude humour.  One of many highlights of the weekend was having the pleasure of meeting and chatting with the naturally funny and genuinely nice guys.    

Jason Rouse

Steve Hughes
Friday, and my biggest highlight of the weekend were The Defiled who opened the Ronnie James Dio stage.  I got the opportunity to interview and photograph them which was the cherry on top. 
Stitch D from The Defiled
There were so many great bands that weekend, but the other one that caught my eye (and ears) was Hammerfall. 
 
Hammerfall

Hammerfall
Then there was Devin Townsend who pulls the funniest facial expressions on stage.  Every picture of him is a gem.  

Devin Townsend Project

Morbid Angel -- now that's a guitar!!!
A nice surprise was seeing Napalm Death on stage as they conjure up nostalgia of my teenage punk days. 
Napalm Death
Although there was much controversy over Motorhead's performance at Bloodstock, I felt much love and respect for Lemmy as he growled their intro 'We are Motorhead and we play Rock n Roll'.  After The Defiled got death threats for not being 'metal'enough for Bloodstock, I loved the fact that he openly flaunts that Motorhead are not a metal band and yet there isn't a single soul that would look Lemmy in the eye and tell him he wasn't metal enough.  I know I had the most Rock n Roll weekend at the metal of all festivals and next year I will be back - but this time with a lot of pre-conceptions and one helluva party to live up to!


No comments:

Post a Comment